We the People. A government website set up so that Americans have a way to engage their government. You can go online and sign existing petitions, or start your own. The current time limits and signature thresholds are:
To cross the first threshold and be searchable within WhiteHouse.gov, a petition must reach 150 signatures within 30 days.
To cross the second threshold and require a response, a petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days.
As of this writing there are 191 petitions listed on the site. Here are some of the more notable odd ones, and the number of signatures they’ve received to date.
– Make election day a federal holiday in an effort to increase voter accessibility and promote democratic culture – 12,304 (this one’s actually a good idea)
– Support a law protecting states’ right to legalize, regulate and tax marijuana like alchohol – 32,413
– Federally Legalize Marijuana – 24,288 (I’m getting the munchies…..)
– Recount the election! – 60,152
– Put green card applications that are filed by same sex bi national couple on hold to provide temporary relief – 834 (uh….what?)
– Two young men wrongly being accused of killing a Macon police officer, even though they didn’t know he was a law officer – 722
– Outlaw offending prophets of major religions – 37,358
Provide University graduates ability to trade their diplomas back for 100% tuition refunds -679 (this person needs to watch Father Guido Sarduci’s “5 minute university.”)
– Require Barrack Obama to allow the public examination of his birth certificate records & his college & university records – 2,582 (Birthers unite!!)
– Ban the practice of circumcising individuals under the age of 18 – 536 (Uh, no, I’m not getting it after I turn 18…)
– Conduct an investigation into the rights violatons committed against baby Star of Edgecomebe County, North Carolina – 268 (could you get someone to write this for you?)
– Answer ALL the questions posed by Congressman Ron Paul in his final speech on the House floor, Nov. 14, 2012 – 3771
– Nationalize the Twinkie industry – 604
And my favorite…..
– Establish new legal system of motorcycle riding “Judges” who serve as police, judge, jury and executioner all in one – 2053